Skip to content ↓


Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Information Report 2020/2021

At Normanby by Spital Primary School ‘we are a small school with BIG ideas!’ We support all children to learn and grow as individuals. ‘All children’ means all children regardless of ethnicity, background, needs or disabilities.

At Normanby by Spital Primary School we are committed to supporting all learners to ‘be the best you can be.’ Please look at the information below, for how we support children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities in our school.

Please also refer to the Lincolnshire Local Offer for further information and support.

For the Lincolnshire Local Offer please click here.

As outlined by the requirements of the DfE, this report complies with:

The report includes details of:

  • our school’s admission arrangements for pupils with SEN or disabilities
  • the steps we have taken to prevent pupils with SEN from being treated less favourably than other pupils
  • access facilities for pupils with SEN
  • the accessibility plan our governing body has written in compliance with paragraph 3 of schedule 10 to the Equality Act 2010

1. What should I do if I think my child has special educational needs?

Please contact the school if you feel your child may have special educational needs.

  • Speak to the class teacher. The class teacher is the person working with your child day to day and is always happy to speak to you about any aspect of school life.
  • Make an appointment to speak to the special educational needs and disabilities coordinator (SENDCo)

Our SENDCO in School is Miss Christine Flintham

Our SEND Governor is Mrs Annabel Gilbert

2. What does the term ‘Special Educational Needs and Disabilities’ mean?

The term ‘Special Educational Needs and Disabilities’ (SEND) has a legal definition, referring to children who have learning difficulties or disabilities that make it harder for them to learn or access an education than most children of the same age.

What ‘need’ might a child have? This may include:

· Learning difficulties.

· Specific Learning difficulties.

· Speech and language

· Social Communication Difficulties· Behavioural, Social and Emotional Difficulties.

· Sensory Impairment.

· Medical and Physical Difficulties.

If your child has special educational needs, they may need extra help in a variety of areas, for example;

· Reading, spelling, writing or understanding information

· Expressing themselves or understanding what others are saying

· Making friends and/or relating to adults

· Interacting socially with others

· Organising themselves

· Accessing information

· Accessing different areas in the school

Many children will have SEN of some kind at some time during their school education. For some this may be short term while for others there will be a range of help over their entire school life.

3. How will the school respond to my concern?

  • Listen
  • Information may be passed on to the SENDCo
  • An observation, further assessment or meeting may be arranged with the SENDCo to discuss concerns and support
  • A referral may be made to the SEND register – in this case information will be shared with you at every stage and the teacher may set up a pupil profile

Please also see the school SEND policy

4. How will the school decide if my child needs extra support?

This may include:

  • Discussion between all parties involved with the child- parents, staff, SENDco and any outside agencies already involved.
  • Review of usual assessments of attainment and progress that take place in school
  • Further specific assessments made in school
  • Observations
  • Other agencies referred to or consulted with for further assessment or specialist advice (for example the speech and language therapy service)

Please also see the SEND policy

5.  What will the school do to support my child?

If appropriate your child will be added to the SEND register and a SEND pupil profile is set up.

  • What does it mean if my child is placed on the SEN Register?

A child is placed on the register to acknowledge that he/she has a specific need and may need additional support to ensure progress is made. A child is only on the register for as long as he/she needs specified help. If a child is on the register when they move school, the information will be passed to their new school so that their education can be continued. The register is for the use of teaching staff and is not shared with other children in the school.

  • What is a Pupil Profile?

This is a plan which identifies your child’s strengths, needs and also sets down a small number of specific targets to help your child move forward in their learning. These targets can be worked on in school and at home.

  • What happens next?

Once your child is placed on the register the class teacher will plan to provide extra help and support for your child through a range of ways depending on his/her specific needs. You and your child will be invited approximately every 12 weeks to a meeting to discuss progress against the targets.

Please also see the SEND policy

6.  Who will support my child in school?

There are three ways we help SEND children in our school:

A. Universal support in the classroom  

Strategies to help children in the classroom may include::

  • Working in pairs or small groups
  • Working with an adult to support them
  • Providing resources, displays or equipment e.g. working walls, prompt cards, spelling mats, counting equipment, pencil grips
  • Tasks set that are matched to their next steps; this may be different from the rest of the class

B. Targeted Support

Sometimes a child needs extra opportunities to help them learn skills. The teacher will then put in place specific focused interventions to achieve this. This may be led by an adult outside the classroom. An intervention is generally a short term measure and will be reviewed to evaluate success.

 C. Outside agencies

Where a child has specific or more complex needs, it may be decided to gain the advice and support of other relevant professionals. Outside agencies include:

  • Educational Psychologist
  • GP or specialist nurses
  • Community Paediatrician
  • Specialist Teaching Team (STT)
  • Speech and Language Therapy
  • Behaviour Outreach Support Service (BOSS)
  • The Working Together Team (TWTT)
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS)
  • Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapist Services
  • Sensory Education and Support Team (SEST) 
  • Early Years Specialist Teachers Team

Any reports are shared with parents and advice given may be used to support pupil profile targets.

 7. How is the decision made about what type and how much support my child will receive?

Decide What Support is needed - The class teacher and SENDCo will discuss the child’s needs and what support will be appropriate. Different children will require different levels of support in order to close the gap between where they are and expected levels. This will be shared through on-going discussions with parents.

Some examples of support for pupils with Cognition and Learning needs

  • Systematic phonics programs
  • The reading schemes which are phonetically decodable or dyslexic friendly
  • Key topic vocabulary displayed and word bank cards available
  • Maths vocabulary and visual resources e.g. hundreds squares, number lines displayed and/or available
  • Letter formation and letter joins are practised daily in a range of ways
  • Classrooms have set places for materials and storage places are labelled with pictures/words
  • Seating is organised so that pupils identified with cognition and learning difficulties face the teacher or key resources displayed
  • Children are given structures for organising their written work e.g. boxes, writing frames, storyboards
  • Precision teaching of key skills
  • Pre-learning and over-learning to introduce and reinforce key learning

Some examples of support for pupils with communication and interaction needs:

  • Instructions in lessons are presented in steps
  • Language structures are explicitly modelled
  • Listening and attention skills are explicitly taught
  • Rich language and vocabulary is modelled and ‘new word’ banks are built up
  • Visual images are used to support instructions
  • Mind maps and story planners are used to help children formulate their ideas
  • Social skills and language groups help children practice SLC skills in a supporting environment (ELSA program)
  • Speech and language plans are practised and reinforced to support the work of the Speech therapist

Some examples of support for pupils with physical and sensory needs:

  • Letter formation and letter joins are practised daily in a range of ways
  • A consistent handwriting style is used throughout the school and modelled by all staff working with the children
  • Children are supported in the foundation stage with developing a correct, comfortable pencil grip
  • Large motor movements, fine motor skills and pattern making are practised in the Foundation stage in preparation for learning to write
  • Specific exercise programs are implemented to support the work of physiotherapists.
  • Children are provided with opportunities to move when needed eg use of fiddle toys and physical activity breaks in-between key learning times

Some examples of support for pupils with social, emotional and mental health needs

  • All staff in school work hard to develop and build up positive relationships with children.
  • Teaching assistants are deployed to match skills and expertise with needs of pupils
  • A teaching assistant is trained as an ELSA – Emotional Literacy Support Assistant.
  • ELSA sessions support children in specific aspects of social and emotional skills
  • Social stories bespoke to individual children support overcoming difficulties and prepare them for changes they are likely to face
  • Classrooms use visual timetables and interactive feelings displays
  • The school works closely with the Working Together Team, Pupil Referral Team and Behaviour Outreach Service and implement recommendations to support needs identified.
  • A range of inclusive extra-curricular clubs are offered to all children throughout the year.

Developing Independence - It is important that children do not become over-reliant on the help which is given and there will always need to be opportunities for children to work independently to use and apply skills they have been developing.

What is an EHCP?

In some cases, pupils have more complex needs and despite the school putting in place various different universal and targeted support strategies there is not enough progress made over time. The school will collect evidence and request an assessment from the Local Education authority for Education, Health, Care Plan (EHCP). This plan is a legal document reviewed annually.

8 What training and experience do staff have for the additional support my child needs?

Miss Flintham (SENDco) is an experienced SENDco of over 15 years who is currently undertaking the National SENDco Award.

Mrs K  Grummell (headteacher) also holds the The National SENDco Award.

Teachers and Teaching Assistants have training and expertise to support pupils with cognition and learning, communication and interaction, physical and sensory needs and social, emotional and mental health difficulties.

We also work closely with any external agencies that we feel are relevant to individual children’s needs within our school (see section 6 for further details of these agencies)

9. What support will there be for my child’s social and emotional well-being?

We are an inclusive school; we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff believe that children having high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s well-being. We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children.

The class teacher has overall responsibility for the pastoral, medical and social care of every child in their class, therefore, this would be the parents’ first point of contact.

We have a teaching assistant who is a trained Emotional Literacy Support Assistant (ELSA). She uses her expertise to support pupils who need more bespoke support for social and emotional well-being.

If further support is needed the class teacher liaises with the SENDco for further advice and support. This may involve working alongside outside agencies (see section 6 for further information about outside agencies)

10.  How will my child be involved in the process and be able to contribute their views?

  • Children are involved in their SEND profile review meetings three times a year and SEND Pupil Profiles record pupil views given. 
  • Children are invited to attend working together meetings with class teachers twice a year and their views are added to the end of year report.
  • Pupil voice is sought by the SENDco on a range of topics relating to SEND and shared with the SENDco Governor

11 How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

The curriculum is carefully planned with all learners from Faldingworth Community Primary School in mind. Class teachers plan daily learning opportunities to match the needs of all children including those with SEND.

Our school aims to give all our pupils equal access to the curriculum at their own level, involving them in all experiences and activities that will engage them in their learning. Some pupils will need extra support or resources to enable this to happen.

Bespoke interventions will be planned where appropriate.  

12.  What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s attainment and achievement? How will I know how well my child is progressing?

  • Parents are very welcome to come in to school to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENDCo to discuss how your child is getting on. We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home.  We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between parents and teachers, therefore, we aim to keep communication channels open and communicate regularly, especially if your child has complex needs.
  • SEND reviews take place three times per year where parents are invited to attend and an SEND Pupil Profile is set up as a result of discussions from all parties and sent home.
  • Parents are invited to attend parent’s evenings twice a year and an end of year report is provided for all children with the option of a follow up discussion.
  • If your child has complex SEND they may have an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). There is a formal meeting which takes place once a year to discuss your child’s progress and achievements. As a result, a review report is written and sent to the SEND team at LCC who then update the EHC plan- sending new copies to both parents and school.

13.  How does the school know how well my child is doing?

As a school we measure:

  • children’s achievement in learning against National age related expectations.
  • children’s progress year on year and across key stages.

Every class teacher continually assesses each child’s strengths and any areas where further support or challenge is needed.

Children who are not making expected progress are identified through daily assessment for learning in class as well as regular pupil progress meetings. In pupil progress meetings discussions take place regarding all individual children and what further support and challenge can be given to aid their progress.  Any children may receive extra challenge or support at the point of their need but this does not always mean they will go on the SEND register or require a Pupil Profile.

In SEND review meetings discussions take place and comments recorded against each target set to show what progress the child has made. If the child has not met the target, the reasons for this will be discussed, then the target may be adapted into smaller steps or a different approach may be tried to ensure the child does may progress.

14. How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

  • The school will endeavour to ensure that all children have equal access to extracurricular clubs and activities.
  • If at any time you are concerned about your child’s inclusion in extracurricular activities or school trips please, in the first instance, see the class teacher and then if appropriate arrange a discussion with the school SENDCo will be arranged.
  • All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips.
  • A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health and safety. When carrying out a risk assessment for educational visits consideration must be given to any additional needs and reasonable adjustments that can be made to ensure the trip is accessible for all.

15.  How accessible is the school environment? How accessible is the curriculum?


  • The school site is wheelchair accessible with a disabled toilet large enough to accommodate changing.
  • The school is all on one level.
  • Fire exits are wheelchair accessible.

Please download the school’s accessibility plan for further information.


  • Learning environments are adapted to support the bespoke needs of learners  eg using visual display prompts, visual timetable, work stations, brain break areas, safety spaces
  • Equipment eg writing slopes, wobble cushions, overlays, pencil grips, fiddle toys etc are made available for those who need them
  • ICT is used to support pupils in a range of ways eg Ipads/laptops, diabetes metres, hearing aids, 
  • Exam access arrangements are organised for any children eligible

16. How will the school prepare and support my child to join the school and to transfer to a new setting?

  • Joining the school
  1. Arrangements for applications in the normal year of intake (Reception Class in this school)

These will be made in accordance with Lincolnshire County Council’s (LCC.) co-ordinated admission arrangements. Lincolnshire residents can apply

Residents in other areas must apply through their home local authority. The LCC

timetable published online will be adhered to for these applications and the Local Authority will make the offers of places on our behalf as per the School Admissions Code. In accordance with legislation the allocation of places for children with the following will take place first; Statement of Special Educational Needs (Education Act 1996) or Education, Health and Care Plan (Children and Families Act 2014) where the school is named. The school will then allocate remaining places in accordance with the admission policy. For entry into Reception in September we will allocate places to parents who make an application before we consider any parent who has not made one.

  1. Midyear Admissions

The governors will accept admissions into other year groups unless this would cause an infant class to be unlawfully large or prejudice to the provision of efficient education or the efficient use of resources. If there are more applications than places, then the oversubscription criteria will be used to decide who should be offered the place. If there are no places, then you will be told of the independent appeal system. Parents can apply online at

Please see the Admissions Policy for further information

We encourage all new children and their parents to visit our school prior to starting. This gives children the chance to meet other children in their class, become familiar with the classroom environment and be shown around the school.

  • Transition to a new school

When children are preparing to leave us for a new school, typically to go to secondary education, we support/ arrange transition visits.

Transition to a new school for children with SEND will always be carefully planned and transition plans will be put in place. This may include

  • additional transition visits
  • meetings with SEND staff from transition schools
  • transfer of relevant SEND documents to transition schools
  • transition books with bespoke information to support the transition for individual pupils
  • transition sessions to explore the changes a new school will mean eg following a timetable, reading building maps, learning names of key staff etc
  • Transition within school

Transition to a new class for children with SEND will always be carefully planned and transition plans will be put in place. This may include:

  • transition meetings between teachers and support staff
  • transition books with bespoke information to support the transition for individual pupils
  • transfer of SEND Profiles, EHC Plans or medical care plans to the next teacher

For more information about transition or if you have concerns about transition for your child please see the school SENDCo

17.  How can I be involved in supporting my child?

  • SEND profiles will include information about how parents/carers can support children at home.
  • Information about what themes each class are learning about are on the school website and discussions about these can help.
  • Support your child to complete homework tasks and participate in regular reading of books together.
  • If you need any further support with this, please contact your child’s class teacher. 

18. What will you do if my child has medical needs?

  • If your child has medical needs, then it is your responsibility to inform the school before they are admitted or as soon as these are diagnosed.
  • Any allergies, asthma, eczema etc. must be documented on the medical records.
  • If your child needs to take medication during the school day, please follow the school’s medication policy.
  • In the case of serious medical conditions, the school will liaise with the medical professionals involved to develop a medical care plan.
  • Staff all undertake first aid training and a some have also completed paediatric first aid courses.
  • If a child has a diagnosed medical need they may or may not be added to the SEND register. This will depend on whether the medical need is a barrier to their learning and require support additional to and different from other children.

19. How can I access further information or support for myself and my family?

You may wish to look at the following school policies for more information

  • SEND policy
  • Admissions policy
  • Equality policy
  • Accessibility policy
  • Behaviour Policy
  • Bullying Policy
  • Attendance Policy
  • Medicine Policy

You may wish to contact

Your child’s class teacher

The SENDco – Miss C. Flintham

The headteacher –Mrs K Grummell

Please contact our school office on 01673 885366 to arrange a meeting at a mutually convenient time

The Local Authority Website will also offer further information. Please follow the link below:

20. What should I do if I am unhappy with my child’s support or progress?

The normal arrangements for the treatment of complaints at Normanby by Spital Primary School are used for complaints about provision made for special educational needs. We encourage parents to discuss their concerns with the class teacher, SENDCo or Head teacher to resolve the issue before making the complaint formal to the Chair of the governing body. This can be done by emailing the SENDCo, Miss Flintham (via the school email address)

If the complaint is not resolved after it has been considered by the governing body, then a disagreement resolution service or mediation service can be contracted. If it remains unresolved after this, the complainant can appeal to the First–tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability), if the case refers to disability discrimination, or to the Secretary of State for all other cases.

There are some circumstances, usually for children who have an Educational, Health and Care Plan, where there is a statutory right for parents to appeal against a decision of the Local Authority. Complaints that fall within this category cannot be investigated by the school.

Other useful websites and support groups

Please click on the link to go to the relevant website

Lincolnshire parent carer forum:

Lincolnshire Parent Partnership offer free confidential advice, information and support to parents and carers about special educational needs

IPSEA stands for Independent Parental Special Education Advice

Young Minds: The voice for young people’s mental health and wellbeing

Young minds Parent Helpline: 08088025544

Lincolnshire autistic society

22. A Glossary of terms

SEND: Special educational needs and disabilities.

SENDCo: Special educational needs and disabilities coordinator:

The special educational needs and disabilities coordinator is responsible for overseeing the provision for pupils with special educational needs and disabilities and ensuring that staff receive appropriate training to support additional needs in the classroom.

SEN Support: SEN Support is the process schools and other settings use to identify and meet the needs of children with SEN. They should alter support where necessary.

SEN register: The list of children identified as having some level of SEND. A special educational need is defined by the 2014 code of practice as; A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for him or her.

EHCP: An EHC plan is a legal document that describes a child or young person's special educational, health and social care needs. It explains the extra help that will be given to meet those needs and how that help will support the child or young person.

LCC: Lincolnshire County Council

Graduated approach:

The graduated approach means that children will first be supported through quality first teaching in the classroom. The SENDCo may become involved to offer advice and support where children’s needs cannot be met solely through this approach. Where children have more significant needs that require specialist support external agencies may be called upon. The support of external agencies can involve specialist assessments, specialist taught sessions, groups work and individual support.

Assess, plan, do, review cycle:

Teachers will assess pupils regularly which will then allow them to plan appropriate support to be delivered in school and this will then be reviewed regularly. Assessment is part of the review and so the cycle begins again.


Transition is when children move from one-year group, setting or class into a new year group, setting or class. This can be difficult for children with SEND and we will plan additional support at these times for those that require it.


Provision is the support and the teaching that we provide for the children. For children with SEND the staff will provide support that is additional to and different from the provision that is routinely available to children in the classroom. This provision may still take place in the classroom or outside in a different room or space. The provision may be individual or in a small group and it may involve separate or specialist resources. Some examples of SEND provision are: a physiotherapy program, a speech and language program of support, small group extra phonics or maths work.


A diagnosis can only be made by a medical professional such as a community paediatrician, specialist doctor or consultant. A diagnosis will identify a specific named condition that may or may not impact upon a child’s ability to access the curriculum. Some examples are autism spectrum disorder, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, dyslexia, cerebral palsy.


Progress refers to a measurement of how much children have learnt or improved over time. If a child has SEND they may progress differently and at a different rate from other children in their year group. At reviews and parent’s evenings staff will talk to you about how much progress your child is making and will identify whether they are meeting age related expectations. If they are making significantly less progress than other children or achieving significantly lower outcomes they may be identified as having a special educational need.


Please find attached FALDINGWORTH Primary School's local offer regarding Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

What is ELSA?

There will always be children and young people in schools facing life challenges that detract from their ability to engage with learning. Some will require greater support to increase their emotional literacy than others. ELSA is an initiative developed and supported by educational psychologists. It recognises that children learn better and are happier in school if their emotional needs are also addressed.

We are lucky enough to have a qualified Emotional Literacy Support Assistant at Faldingworth Primary School. Miss Lincoln has been trained by Educational Psychologists to plan and deliver programmes of support to pupils who are experiencing temporary or longer term additional emotional needs. The majority of ELSA work is delivered on an individual basis, but sometimes small group work is more appropriate, especially in the areas of social and friendship skills. Sessions are fun, we use a range of activities such as games, role-play with puppets or arts and craft. ELSA sessions take place in our very own 'ELSA room' which provides a calm, safe space for the child to feel supported and nurtured.

 In ELSA we aim to provide support for a wide range of emotional needs:

Recognising emotions
    Social skills
    Friendship skills
Anger management
    Loss and bereavement